Monday, November 30, 2009

Don't mind the time gap

A little out of touch. It has been a busy few months, and now it's time to get back on track.

Traveled to the annual Society of Federal Healthcare (AMSUS) conference in St. Louis this month. I presented some research along with Dr. J. Whitcomb and J. Salazar as we looked at cardiac arrest data over a six year period. As a mentor, Dr. Whitcomb is the finest, collaborating with me on several small research projects before he retired, and is the driving force behind by current status as a PhD student...thanks John!
Was also able to re-connect with my old boss from Fleet Surgical Team Seven. He was the keynote speaker at the Navy Luncheon, and gave a presentation on the ground-breaking mobile ambulances he has created and sold both the Navy and Army on their utility. Having been awarded the Purple Heart and Legion of Merit and board certified in two medical specialties, Jim is a physician's physician. None better. He disclosed to the audience (this was something he initially had to be discrete about for professional purposes) that he, too, had TBI, and is not unlike many other Marines, soldiers, and sailors coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq. As one of a few role models for me through my Navy life, Jim is at the top of list. I have committed my PhD work to brain injury and could not think of a topic more worthy my time and dedication.

1 comment: