Sunday, September 6, 2009

Ill-Informed Subjects

USU wants a dissertation topic soon. This is mutually exclusive from the fact that I have no idea yet what I will do.

It's not to be taken lightly. My chosen topic will stay with me as I eat, study, breathe, and sleep for the next three years. A poor choice will haunt and taunt me without mercy and make my time seem better suited to purgatory.

Whether it is a good one or not: I have a plan. This week I contact a researcher across the street at NIH who is doing research with cytokines (immumodulators that affect cell to cell communication and play a big role in the inflammatory response and septic shock). I need to "get smart" about current cytokine functions and promise as we know it now. Additionally, I will be meeting with another full-time PhD student who has chosen traumatic brain injury (TBI). With both of these, I have personal investments and a high interest in furthering our knowledge of these two high priority and mysterious complexes. The third prong of my quest for suitable research topics will take me to the current labs running at USU. There are a wide variety of researchers here on campus already, and I plan to visit labs in the coming two weeks to get a feel for what is possible and what is out of the realm (and out of my league).

How this plays out is anyone's guess (mostly mine) at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment